Monday, November 3, 2008

The , Dilemma

So, the homepage on my mom's computer is The New York Time's website and today as I opened the browser, a particular article caught my eye. It was titled "Phys Ed: Stretching: The Truth", okay I know what you're thinking...how does an article that clarifies what stretches best warm you up have to do with American Studies? Well, it doesn't; it was the title itself is was sparked my interest. "Stretching: The Truth"--when I first read it I thought "oh, phys ed.: stretching the truth-it's probably about lies or scandal within the secret world of Physical Education." -stupid? Perhaps; but regardless, it reminded me of our discussion about the second ammendment to The Constitution and just how important a single punctuation mark can be.

Taking a good look at the second ammendment's placement of puncuation points can bring into question the true meaning behind the ammendment. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." In this particular instance, commas make all the difference. After all, the statement "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed" implies that a militia is crucial to securing a free state and therefore, all citizens have the right to bear arms. Whereas with the real statement, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms, shall not be infringed." The right to bear arms seems to be qualified; it's only a right of the people when a well regulated Militia is necessary to the security of the state. Why is it then that when people look at the 2nd Ammendment, they forget the preface and cut straight to the main point: The right to bear arms? Since the forefathers have since passed away, there's really no knowing for sure; however in my personal opinion, I would agruethat the right is definitely qualified; And since I don't feel that a well regulated militia is necessary to the security of our state when we have the army--I don't believe that regular US citizens should have the right to bear arms. And to think-any debate over the meaning of this right was started over something as insignificant as a comma.

No comments: