Thursday, February 5, 2009

Earth: The Movie

Today I was at home sick watching television when I saw the following preview for a movie coming out soon entitled, "Earth: The Movie". Now, it's hard to say exactly but from what I got from it, I think the plot of the movie is tracking the daily lives of three different animals, whales, polar bears, and elephants. Seems like it'd be an interesting documentary...but not an amazing, moving work of cinema...right? Well apparently not, because I don't know what it was specifically, but when I watched that preview, I just became enthralled (in retrospect, I'm thinking it was the music.) Whatever is was, I got really excited when (if you watch the preview you'll get the reference) the little chick jumps all the way from a tree branch to the forest floor while the narrator talks about it's immense courage. And when all the goats are crossing the river, oh man. I really wish I was kidding right now but I swear to you I'm not.

So anyway, then as I sat down to try and think of examples of how we, as Americans, are prone to romanticizing things, it hit me how overdone that commercial was. "Join three families on an amazing journey across our planet"? Really? Needless to say, I felt like such a sucker. Romanticizing American? Guilty. My reaction was exactly that which the makers of that movie were looking for, someone to identify with the large humpback whales, foraging the ocean; To feel for the elephants as they ran across the savanna. Don't get me wrong, I do love animals. But really...it's hard to deny how romanticized that movie is. I'm sure the stories are real and interesting, however I can say for sure that every possible angle has been played up to tug at the heart strings of a bunch of eco-friendly, animal loving people. I mean, come on, it even comes out on Earth Day...seriously?

No comments: